Monday, September 15, 2008

Photography Assignment #3 (Photo Critique)

This weekend I went home for my moms birthday so I decided to take advantage of the firmiliar space and people and take a lot of pictures. I first took pictures of the little girl I babysit. She is 2 years old and her name is Amelia. I got her dressed up in a ballet outfit with a few props to go with it and we went down to my basemtent and had so much fun taking pictures. She is such a ham and she loves being in front of the camera. I got some really great shots of her.


Then next I took pictures of my best friend Kathryn and her 3 year old son Carson. Carson is wild and crazy and sometimes Kathryn wants to pull her hair out but their unconditional love for one another was what I most wanted to capture in my pictures. So, we went to one of the local parks and while they played and looked at things, I took pictures. Trying to capture that unspoken bond between a mother and her child. I think all of the pictures I took capture that because you cant hide your true feelings for another person from the camera.


I love to take pictures of people doing anything to express love or any other emotion. The expressive element is definately what I wanted to focus most on for this assignment.

In this picture Amelia is trying on a pair of pointe shoes. For those who dont know when you begin ballet you have to go many many years and get strong feet and ankles before you can have your own pointe shoes. Any little girl who loves to take ballet aspires to be on pointe someday. To me, this picture represents a little ballerinas hope of getting her own pointe shoes one day and how much she aspires and looks up to the girl who's shoes she is trying on.

In the photoshopped image I defined the colors and contrast more to make it more interesting to look at. I also began experimenting with different tools. I copied the picture in the top right corner as a kind of representation to what this little girls hopes to be able to do someday.




This next picture is the picture I want to use for the class critique. It is of Kathryn and her son Carson walking around the park. I like this picture because they are holding hands and looking at one another, once again showing their love for each other. I also like the water and trees in front of them. It gives a very calming effect to the picture.

In the photoshopped photo I enhanced the contrast and brightness. Then I kept the subjects in color and made the rest of the photo black and white. I did this because I want the main focus of the viewers to be on Kathryn and Carson. I really like how this picture turned out because despite most of the picture being black and white, there are still some really vivid colors in this picture.


In this picture Kathryn and Carson are on the bridge at the park. She kept holding him up and kissing his tummy and blowing on it, of course making Carson laugh uncontrollably. I like this picture because I caught that moment in Carson of pure delight and happiness in his face.

In the photoshopped photo I enhanced mainly the green in his shirt but I also enhanced all the colors and the contrast between them all.

No comments:

MY BEST FRIEND!!

MY BEST FRIEND!!

Dance Girlies!

Dance Girlies!

My Favorite little girl Kayla boo

My Favorite little girl Kayla boo